Sunday, February 3, 2013

Example

The Savior is the best example for how one should lives ones life.  Through the scriptures, words of the Prophets and seeing others live truly Christlike lives, we too can begin to emulate Him and gradually work towards that goal of being "perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect." (3 Nephi 12:48)   

On this earth I have examples that are right in front of me that help me by how they live their lives or some of the choices they make and even very every day things they do that influence me and make me desire certain things.  Some of the things I want to do are really basic, others may have more far reaching affects.

One of the things I want to try is to 'journal' through blogging.  A large number of friends and acquaintances write consistently and well, noting their families or personal achievements, latest home project or the latest crafting idea they've worked on.  Their blogs are replete with pictures, captions, pins, and links.  They are works of art that can be later printed and bound in amazing books for their posterity.  

The best example of this is my friend Colette.  Her family's journey through this last year, as her husband battled Hodgkin's Lymphoma, was epic.  Her term of phrase and ability to paint a picture through her words was a trip that I was privileged to be part of.  Now, after all the year brought to their family, Colette had her 2012 blog posts made into a hard bound book.  A family year book!  How cool is that?  Her example of getting a year of her life bound into a book, I want to do that!  

Another friend, Sara, said a prayer at our Stake choir practice last Friday.  I love Sara.  She calls things as she see them.  She's practical, kind, loving and says the most beautiful prayers.  I want to say prayers the way she does.  I thought about that.  I can wax lyrical with the best of them when I so choose, why on earth can't I do that in prayers without the vain repetitions that I think we all tend to fall into during prayer?  I think Sara said something along the lines of asking that we would find beauty in the music that we sang and that it would be a testimony to our hearts.  I THINK that's what she said, but even if she didn't, just by thinking about being more thoughtful about my words and what I really want to say to my Heavenly Father is a great thing.  All from the example of someone who doesn't know she set one.

My husband is one of THE most charitable people I know.  He's an eternal optimist and would do anything for anyone.  Yeah, not me so much.  I have a hard time with people who seem to do/say/act the same way over and over.  There's been a situation within our family ranks that has very much had me feeling less than charitable to say the least.  If there wasn't the life of a child involved, I may feel a bit more charitable toward the adult involved, but as you can see, not much.  Anyway, without divulging anything, I read this post on Facebook and it socked me in the face.  I had to do some serious pondering and repenting and deciding to try to not be so critical of this certain individual.  My heart was softened to a larger degree.  I still have to work on things, but the example of our prophets and apostles is something I wish to follow.


I love my children, they are amazing human beings and a huge example to me.  Each of them has done things in their lives that have amazed me.   They have all shown courage, faith, determination, tenacity, tenderness, resourcefulness, patience, intelligence and a terrific sense of humor in their comparatively short lives on this earth.  They have testimonies of the gospel, a love for the scriptures and are just plain good human beings.  I want to be like them.

February is the love month, being Valentine's and all.  Have you noticed how many kids say Valentime's?  I love all the hearts, the flowers, the RED and the PINK. I love me some pink.  This is something I really enjoy, a quote from Winnie the Pooh (A. A. Milne) that I got as a freebie from http://www.thescrapshoppeblog.com/.  I love Pooh's example.





1 comment:

Rebekah said...

And you have always been an example to me. Thank you.